CAGJ has traditionally served salmon at our annual Strengthening Local Economies Everywhere (SLEE) dinner thanks to the generosity of Loki Fish Co., who have donated 30 whole salmon to every SLEE dinner for the past 15 years. We weren’t able to gather in person in 2020, but still managed to distribute Loki salmon to our Table Captains and Solidarity Campaign partners so we could all enjoy a salmon meal at home during our virtual event!
Video produced by Edward Wolcher
Aromatic SLEE Salmon
- 1 whole wild salmon
- ½ fennel bulb, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 orange, any variety, sliced
- 1 TBS sweet smoked paprika
- Toss above ingredients with cooking oil, salt and pepper.
- Rub inside and outside of whole salmon with mixture of cooking oil, salt and pepper.
- Stuff salmon with above ingredients; if any are left over, roast them in pan with salmon.
- Bake at 425 degrees until internal temperature is 140 degrees, 30-60 minutes depending on the size of the salmon.
- Remove salmon and increase oven temperature to broil.
- Broil to crisp salmon skin, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, 5-10 minutes.
Heather Day (she/her) & Travis English (he/him)
Heather Day helped to found CAGJ after the 1999 WTO protests, and has loved acting as CAGJ’s Director since 2007. Travis English is Heather’s husband and co-conspirator. They co-created the idea of SLEE – CAGJ’s annual community celebration – while on a road trip to Baja, Mexico. Travis has been the SLEE chef most years, and was a well-known fixture of the Ballard Farmers Market pre-Covid. They enjoy raising their son Henry in West Seattle where they’re cultivating community and turning their lawn into a veggie and flower garden.