- Thinly sliced large red onion
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar and/or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1.5 tablespoons salt
- Boil brine then pour over onions in container. When room temperature place in fridge. Use when brine turns pink.
- The excess onion skins can be boiled to make a light pink dye.
Maegan McCoy (she/her)
Hello, I am a queer multimedia artist, currently studying Cinema and Art at the UO. I have more time to cook for myself now that I have a kitchen in my apartment and classes are remote. Recently, I’ve become obsessed with fermentation. I have two sourdough starters and multiple bottles of homemade kombucha in the fridge as we speak. I’ve always longed for a closer relationship to what I eat and have a strong passion for cooking and food sovereignty. website: maeganmccoyart.com.